FE (AND MEL) THAT BEND PUSHRODS

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

FE (AND MEL) THAT BEND PUSHRODS

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 15. Feb 2009, 22:50

KULTULZ wrote:
Dan Szwarc wrote:
PinkLinc wrote:
That's not bad. I assume I'm going to need a shop crane to get the heads out? What do you suppose caused that pushrod to bend and crack like it did?
The valve stuck and the cam bent the pushrod. Replace the pushrod (or all of them) and get a valve job.

Gary, what is your advice on replacing pushrods?
Broken Pushrod.jpg
The MEL has the same basic valvetrain as the FE, so what applies there also applies here.

-VALVETRAIN TECH ARTICLE-

Most no one follows this logic. Whenever any work is done having to remove the heads, one must follow this procedure (more detailed in shop manual) to ascertain proper valve lash. On an engine this old, one should also disassemble the rocker arm assemblies and make sure all parts are good and has a good oil supply.

It may not need a valve job. That is ascertained via a compression and leakdown test(s). The seals can be replaced on the engine. Valve guide wear can be determined on the engine. Weak lifters can be determined on the engine.

It is possible that after a prolonged shutdown, the valve stem may have frozen in the guide and the resultant start-up could have caused the damage. More than likely though, it is this malady that is common to both engine series.

All of this is of course, IMO... 8)

WerbyFord
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: Clarinet and Sax but not lately

Re: FE (AND MEL) THAT BEND PUSHRODS

Post by WerbyFord » Fri 20. Feb 2009, 20:53

I once had a Brand X engine do this.
Bend pushrod, change, check, ok.
Bend another one, etc. About 4 times in a week or so. All intakes.
Engine was fine before I swapped it into that CAR.
Some kind of very fine powder/dirt in the gas tank was the problem.
Swapped the tank, problem solved.
Cleaned original tank and put it back on, still ok.

I did run a filter and could never "see" the dirt or whatever it was but it was something getting in the gas from the old dirty tank.
I can't tell from the conversation, is this an intake or exhaust that bent and cracked?

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Intake Valve Stuck Open & Old Gas

Post by Chris430 » Sat 5. Dec 2015, 15:07

Old gas turns bad and leaves a varnish like coating on intake valve stems that does not burn off. It gums up in the guides. I have personally seen it twice. If you only have a couple gallons of bad gas you can usually get away with filling up with new gas diluting the varnish.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”