intro thread

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
chucklz
Airman basic

intro thread

Post by chucklz » Wed 2. Sep 2009, 13:54

Hi! I'm Chucklz and I'm an addict. It's been 16 hours since my last parts forage; do phone calls count, if so its been 2 hours since my last parts forage. It started out easy enough, you know, just change the stock rims for something else to make the car look better, maybe lower it just a hair; well if it looks like it can go fast I should make it go fast. Next thing you know I have what used to be a perfectly running car in pieces waiting for this part or that piece.

I wondered into the MEL world by looking for an inexpensive power plant for a 35/36 ford pickup I plan to build. A friend of a friend was a refitting a 62 Continental with new cammer stuff. He was selling the engine and tranny for cheap. It came out of a running car with 50k on the clock. I took it. It was fan to yoke and carb to pan. I looked up the specs before I even had it. I was impressed with the numbers. I read about all the old diggers running the MEL. I realized the speed parts were going to be difficult and expensive but it had 300 hp stock.

I got it home and ran the casting numbers. It was C6, a 462. It listed 340 hp with 485 ftlb of torque. I should be able to pick up another 10-15% with better breathing and timing. It should bring me close to 400 hp. Not bad for what I have in mind.

The Plan:

35/36 Ford pickup cab
48 Ford front axle/done in the traditional suicide way
56 Olds differential/3.24 posi
66 462 MEL/C-6

It will be Z'ed like a lakester no fenders, bed or hood. Big & Littles. Zoomies and lots of Dynamat. It should make a decent hotrod to bomb around town.

Incidentally I got to see the Gizzle Hopper at the HAMB drags. Never got to talk to Beep but it convinced me to run with this set up.

reijerlincoln
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom through a Fender Blues Junior!

Re: intro thread

Post by reijerlincoln » Fri 4. Sep 2009, 04:51

Welcome to the forum. Sounds exciting. I'd like to see photos of the project (if you have them).

This might be redundant as you're going to work on it, but you should look into a new timing set & a billet oil pump drive shaft (here's why: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262).

Cheers,
Reijer

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”