430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
64Bezer
Airman basic

430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Post by 64Bezer » Sat 24. Apr 2010, 20:10

Hi. I'm new here. Two years ago I bought a 1964 Biesemeyer flatbottom v-drive boat with a 430. My dad and I have been restoring it since and we are very pleased with it. I have some questions about what they engine is from. Were marine engines different from street engines. Are the casting numbers different? How much oil should it hold? We just changed the oil and only 5 quarts came out (filter included). If it's a street engine, then it would take 6 quarts so that is what we put back in. But, if it is a marine engine and they take more, then I need to add more. I would use the dipstick, but is was a pos and leaked all over. We had to make a new tube and dock a new dipstick as a replacement. Our marks for oil level reflect the 5 quarts that were in her, so I don't think that is even correct. Are there any visual references that I should look for on the pan to tell what the oil capacity is? Thanks in advance for your help.
-Rob

64Bezer
Airman basic

Re: 430 in a flatbottom v-drive boat

Post by 64Bezer » Sat 24. Apr 2010, 20:51

Here's some pix. The boat is now named Hot Rod Lincoln. 8-)
Attachments
Post4.jpg
Post4.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Post3.jpg
Post3.jpg (19.7 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Post2.jpg
Post2.jpg (21.59 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
Post1.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sun 25. Apr 2010, 12:17

Welcome to the forum Rob,
there are a few experts that sure will be happy to talk boats and MEL with ya. Just wait for the "Triple C" to chime in. I just wanted to say Hi and thanks for the photos of your nice boat.
As for the dip stick, watch out for the right length and right position marks. Make sure where it originally came from. There might be different length sticks and pans from Pass. cars, trucks, boats (?) etc. The dipstick is not always matching the pan. And even the boat dealers and restorers might just mix things together that don't match well.
Meanwhile you might find this thread interesting http://www.ford-mel-engine.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=296
Have fun
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Mon 26. Apr 2010, 18:45

Best regards
Theo
Admin

Shelby#18
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Shelby#18 » Mon 26. Apr 2010, 22:27

Welcome to the forum! I bet that thing sure gets around. Thanks for joining and posting photo's. Hopefully some more MEL powered boats will show up.

64Bezer
Airman basic

Post by 64Bezer » Mon 26. Apr 2010, 22:41

Thanks fellas. Yep, it does have some kick. Lots of the speed in an old flatbottom comes from the finer details in the setup. A cavitation plate controls the attitude of the boat (bow up or down). As you go faster and faster it wants to porpoise unless you have the plate all the way down (holding the bow down) and that just creates a lot of drag. I hope to start improving that situation this year and get it so it frees up and rides better and better. As it, I've been over 60 mph in it, though. I actually looked for this particular boat for 15 years before I found it. We know someone that has a similar one. Since I was 18 years old my dad and I always said "Wow, wouldn't it be cool to have a boat like that to fix up some day."
-Rob

Old-Stf Cycle
Airman basic

Post by Old-Stf Cycle » Sat 21. Aug 2010, 21:37

I love this Boat !!!
Thanks, Mike

Return to “Introduce Yourself and Show us Your Ride”