Introduction

Feel free to introduce yourself. No obligation off course, but a nice way to get known to you a little. It's allways good to know your first name. Jeff or John sounds better than, "hey linc58prm2_1......"
85lebaront2
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: None any more, have played piano, clarinet, alto and baritone saxophones.

Introduction

Post by 85lebaront2 » Sun 3. Mar 2019, 17:16

Unfortunately I no longer have the ex NASCAR 430 I acquired after bailing a friend out with my steel crank from my 1958 engine. I had planned to use it in a Cannonball Baker car project. Since it was disassembled at the time, my friend, who owned a junkyard, called and said "Help, I sold a Lincoln engine and the crank is bad, can I borrow yours and get you another one?" Long story short he couldn't find one, another friend knew where there was an ex-NASCAR 430 was that I could have. Engine had an Algon racing injection system, what appeared to be home made headers and a wicked solid lifter cam. Since it had been sitting for a number of years, I went ahead and opened it up and cleaned everything, oiled the cylinders etc. No one knew what the valve clearance was, so I started with the 427 FE specs, since the valve train appeared to have a lot of those parts, bucket lifters and forged rockers. Heads were ported and polished, and I believe you could reach down the intake ports and grab the valve stems. Popup pistons, .030 over, baffled probably 8 or 9 quart oil pan. I couldn't use the headers as they were obviously from a square bird and wouldn't clear the mid-block mounts.

After I had it running, coupled to a single coupling Hydra-Matic and sitting in the 1958 Country Squire I was building with a 2.69:1 9" rear, I had a friend who owned the shop up the road from mine tow it down to the muffler shop for the 2.5" dual mandrel bent exhausts complete with an H pipe. I drove it back to my shop with a friendly city cop following in his POV as I had no lights on it at the time. I had to stand on it once to get around someone blocking me from the left lane, damn thing dropped to third, but no secondaries and still jumped at 45 mph. After that it got used to push start a drag car in our parking lot a few times and I was slowly building the interior and finishing wiring etc.

My dad had bought out the other partner, then after 2 years decided to sell the shop, I started the car with someone I thought I could trust, he vanished and whoever he rented the property from sold the car for scrap. Many years later someone said he had seen it in a now closed junkyard. I really wish I still had the car, we called it the "Blue Max".
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: Introduction

Post by Chris430 » Mon 4. Mar 2019, 15:25

Hi, did Blue Max look like this?
9619aa2f33987fdf1ef21d7f739de3c2.jpg

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Introduction