Roller cam info

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
brechlrl
Airman basic

Roller cam info

Post by brechlrl » Thu 6. Oct 2011, 19:31

Is anyone running a roller cam in their MEL? I was wondering specifically if it is necessary to put a torrington bearing between the cam and block to prevent galling , and if you need to add a cam button to keep the cam from walking

Ted
Airman
Airman

Re: Roller cam info

Post by Ted » Sat 7. Jan 2012, 07:33

Royce. I'm going to say Yes to both the torrington bearing and the thrust button.
Ted Eaton --- http://www.eatonbalancing.com/ --
Big Engines are quick but it's hard to beat the fun that comes from running a normally aspirated Y-Block at 8.80's and 147 mph in the quarter.

Treinarts
Airman First Class
Airman First Class
Music instruments you're playing: none

Post by Treinarts » Mon 30. Jan 2012, 13:03

You need button on 58, 59 and 60 blocks. Even flat tappet cams because the cam will try to "walk" forward in the block.
Later blocks used different cam bearing arraignment that reduced walk. I agree that at a minimum, a button should be used.
TJR

Theo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Theo » Sat 4. Feb 2012, 04:45

I converted the spring and button type of thing w. a cam plate and torrington bearing on my FE engine. Haven't done it on a MEL because the customer didn't ask for it.
Anyway if you do the conversion you should look for the right geometry between the two cam sprockets. Using a bearing will place the upper sprocket forward. You'll have to machine the inner surface of the sprocket accordingly. takes some exact measurements and a little math. But in the end the package will work fine w no cam walk no more. Good Luck
Best regards
Theo
Admin

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”