The best cam grind for MEL

Discussion of MEL engine related topics only.
Ethan
Airman basic
Music instruments you're playing: Guitar, kinda.

The best cam grind for MEL

Post by Ethan » Wed 24. Feb 2021, 06:09

Hey guys!

I’m in the midst of building a 61 430 with reworked 58 Edsel heads e.g. ported, bigger valves ect.
A Edsel intake manifold and ported exhaust manifolds, electronic ignition the whole ball of wax, my question being.

What is a performance grind these engines really respond to? I want to really be able to wipe somebody’s behind with this motor if I feel like it (I’m acquiring a steel roller camshaft blank with lifters and roller rocker arms) BUT I don’t want it to shake at idle like a race car I want a good sounding little thump but I don’t want to give too much away about what’s under the hood.

I’m backing it with a Borg Warner T10 4 speed and dropping the whole shebang in my 63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL Convertible

Thanks in advance!

-Ethan

Chris430
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: The best cam grind for MEL

Post by Chris430 » Wed 24. Feb 2021, 14:05

Ethan wrote:
Wed 24. Feb 2021, 06:09
Hey guys!

I’m in the midst of building a 61 430 with reworked 58 Edsel heads e.g. ported, bigger valves ect.
A Edsel intake manifold and ported exhaust manifolds, electronic ignition the whole ball of wax, my question being.

What is a performance grind these engines really respond to? I want to really be able to wipe somebody’s behind with this motor if I feel like it (I’m acquiring a steel roller camshaft blank with lifters and roller rocker arms) BUT I don’t want it to shake at idle like a race car I want a good sounding little thump but I don’t want to give too much away about what’s under the hood.

I’m backing it with a Borg Warner T10 4 speed and dropping the whole shebang in my 63 Ford Galaxie 500 XL Convertible

Thanks in advance!

-Ethan
Hello, I have always heard that the stock camshaft regrind to 428 CJ specifications made a good powerband. Ted Eaton has some time with camshaft grinds for the MEL. His website is eatonbalancing.com, he is located just south of Waco, Texas.

Return to “MEL Engine General Discussion”