DIY 045 Engine Cold Start and choke adjustment

Post your Tips Tricks and How Tos
59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

DIY 045 Engine Cold Start and choke adjustment

Post by 59lincolnrag » Sat 20. Feb 2021, 08:39

Revision A : sections rewritten for clarity. (10/06/2023)

DIY 045 Engine Cold Start MEL

The first thing I do before starting a cold engine that's been sitting a while is to fill a squeeze bottle with fuel. My car seems to allow fuel to flow back to the tank. It may be that the poppet valves in the pump are not sealing. The fuel may be boiling off as well.
squezz.JPG
squezz.JPG (11.73 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

Remove the air cleaner lid and fill the carburetor through the vent holes. This works well with my 59 Lincoln equipped with the 430 V8. You want to actuate the throttle and make sure fuel is squirting out of the accelerator pump discharge nozzle.
Capture4.JPG

At this point you can adjust the choke before you attempt to start. On my vehicle the choke coil housing is set to Index. You may want to set it one or two increments richer if you like.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (32.77 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

In some cases the spring is not setting in the fork. Remove the spring and make sure the end of the spring fits inside the fork. Turn it back and fourth to make sure it is inserted correctly.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (42.57 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

Refer to your manual to set the choke unloader adjustment. With the throttle wide open there should be a clearance of 1/8 of an inch. This adjustment prevents the engine from flooding.
Capture2.JPG

Now that the carb has fuel in it and the choke is set the engine should start right up and avoid that long cranking. After it gets to operating temperature you can set the fast Idle. On this carter Carb the adjustment screw should contact this fast idle cam
Capture5.JPG

Here is a closer look. You want to position the cam as shown and set the RPM at around 1200.
Capture6.JPG

Hope this can help somebody.
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Return to “Tutorials Tips Tricks and How To. Written By Board Members”