DIY 033 Having a problem with starting the car when hot.

Post your Tips Tricks and How Tos
59lincolnrag
Air Education & Training Command
Air Education & Training Command
Music instruments you're playing: Acoustic Guitar ... when I was young

DIY 033 Having a problem with starting the car when hot.

Post by 59lincolnrag » Mon 6. Jul 2020, 16:43

Revision A (10/06/2023) Revised information. some part rewritten for clarity.

Are you Having a problem with starting the car when hot?
Starts up no problems in the morning or a cold start. After driving it awhile and parking it, come back to the car 15 or 30 minutes later to start it, Cranks once then stops turning, kind of like it has a dead battery. Leave the car alone for another 20 minutes or more and it starts up again.

Yes this is very typical of these older cars I'm speaking specifically a 430 CID Lincoln, Mercury or Ford..... it certainly happens with other engines as well.

1-Be sure your timing is set correctly.
2-If Needed, Replace your Battery. I have fitted a larger battery with more cranking Amps.
3-Replace Starter and battery cables. Use a large gage where possible. Do not use those quick repair bolt on terminals. This is the number one cause of slow cranking.
4-Replace the ground strap to the fire wall. You may want to Install an additional ground strap from the engine to the firewall or to the frame.
5- You can add a heat shield to the starter as well as slipping the starter cable through a piece of hose as added heat protection for the cable.
6-Adjust you idle at least 700 RPM I have mine at 800 RPM
7-Check your main thermostat. Is it at the specified temperature? You may need to pull the water pump and remove the two smaller thermostats in the block. They go bad quite often.
8- You can also replace the fan with a flex fan for additional cooling.
9- One more thing I noticed. In the distributor the vacuum advance will stick in the advanced position. Be sure the advance is working correctly.

DSCN3898-vi.jpg
DSCN3898-vi.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
This is problematic with the old style rotating plate with ball bearings. It will rust up and stick in the advanced position.
You will need to Remove the distributor and thoroughly clean it. Be sure the plate rotates smoothly.

DSCN3901-vi.jpg
DSCN3901-vi.jpg (18.85 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
The newer distributors actually pivot and that pivot point can break or get dislodged. Again a good cleaning and possible replacement of the plate will remedy that problem

These are the things that I typically do as routine maintenance. with these cars

Please review DIY008 Distributor Vac Advance Renew / Timing Adj M-E-L 430
2002 Lincoln Blackwood
1959 Lincoln Continental Coupe blk on blk
430 Tri-Power Super Marauder
1959 Lincoln Continental Convertible wht on wht
2006 Lincoln Town Car

Return to “Tutorials Tips Tricks and How To. Written By Board Members”