3x2 or 6x2 ! ! ?

Discuss everything about the Tripower induction.
alternate
Editorial Group
Editorial Group
Music instruments you're playing: Vuvuzela

3x2 or 6x2 ! ! ?

Post by alternate » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 13:40

Note: Complete or part of old conversation copied from the archives and brought back to you by admin. New replies can be added if desired.

Thread starter "Tyler"

I know this sounds like good luck got a message from I guy I know on the net saying he gave up on his plans for a mel build and would sell me his 6x2 intake. I was planning on getting a edlbrock tri power one for my 430 that I know of but now I'm torn, I really dont need 6 small 2's on my huge car, what should I do?

Reply by "Tom Custom"

Now, what car ya got? Most 6x2 intake set-ups were log-style intakes for drags. See page two of my Midwest catalog pages posted to the forum. See the Weiand Drag Star? That's a log. Will it work? Sure. Set the carbs up for progressive operation, Using the two center carbs as primaries and the four outer carbs as secondaries. Now, if this MEL is in a large car, then you will lose low-end torque. I would do it in a rod, but not in a Lincoln or T-bird. If it's cheap, maybe you can flip it on ebay for some profit.

Response from "Tyler"

You're right. its a huge car and the 6x2 wouldnt be very practical, its a 59 mercury with a 430 I think I talked to you about it at the meeting a couple weeks ago. I am shooting for the tri power and will pass the 6x2 on to somebody here afterwards. do you think I could use the linkage from the ford 406 I know they reproduce it all.

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Re: It's a great looking set-up.

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 13:45

The two end carburetors on the MEL Tripower are vacuum operated as like a CORVETTE or MOPAR installation. You might consider going to the FE style. This guy used ROCHESTERS.
64LincolnEngine3.jpg

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 13:47

Quote/"...do you think I could use the linkage from the ford 406 I know they reproduce it all."/Quote

I guess what I meant to say is that the FE uses a mechanical linkage system whereas the MEL used vacuum motors to initiate secondary carb. operation.
If you do find a suitable MEL 3X2 intake, it would be much cheaper (and easier) to use the FE system. You could evem modify early HOLLEY 2300's and mill down the air horns to accept the FE style air cleaners of the period.

Hawkrod
General.
General.

Post by Hawkrod » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 13:48

the mechanical linkage for an FE would be great on a modified MEL but it won't be a bolt on. the carbs are a little farther apart on an MEL tri-power so you will need to extend the rods for the outer carbs as well as the belcrank to center carb rod. for the same reason the FE air cleaners will not fit the MEL even if you modified the air horns. it would probably be easier to use an FE style lid (preferbly one that isn't drilled for hold down studs, if you use one that is drilled teh spacing will be off but i have simply bent the studs into a mild zig zag to fit)) and make a new base from heavy sheet.
hawkrod

KULTULZ
Technical Sergeant
Technical Sergeant

Post by KULTULZ » Sun 26. Sep 2010, 13:50

Can the new retro-fit end carb actuating rods be extended for the greater distance for use with the mechanical 2300's or would you have to request fabricated longer linkage rods?
There was once available both top and bottom blank air cleaner plates in aluminum so that you could cut them as needed. I see where the bottom plate is available in steel (Tony Branda if I remember correctly) but do you know of a source for the aluminum?

Return to “The MEL Engine Tripower Heaven”